Great Green Wall Initiative
The GGW initiative’s ambition is to restore 100 million hectares of currently degraded land; sequester 250 million tons of carbon and create 10 million green jobs by 2030. This will help communities living along the Wall to grow:
- One of humanity’s most precious natural assets: fertile land;
- Economic opportunities for the world’s youngest population;
- Food security for the millions that go hungry every day;
- Climate resilience in a region where temperatures are rising faster than anywhere else on Earth;
- A new world wonder spanning 8000km;
Five countries (Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Senegal) in Western Africa are part of the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and Sahel initiative, and have committed to restoration under this framework.